Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pannkakor (Swedish Pancakes)


I woke up yesterday morning craving Swedish pancakes so badly. The only problem was I didn't have a recipe for them and I didn't trust the recipes online from non Swedish websites. So I went straight to the source! I texted one of my best friends who lives in Sweden and she sent me her great grandmother's recipe for pannkakor (Swedish pancakes) and told me she'd love for me to put it on my blog. They were so simple and so delicious!



Last winter I spent a few weeks with my friend My (kinda pronounced "Me") in Sweden. She showed me around and I got to enjoy the holidays with her along with a ton of AMAZING food. Here we are walking around Stockholm in the snow standing outside the castle.


We traveled down to Southern Sweden to her college town and took a day trip over to Copenhagen. We spent all day walking around town and stopping for food and beer. On our way back to the train station late at night we walked by a street vendor selling Swedish pancakes. Of course we stopped. I got mine filled with Nutella, it was so good!



Now back to how you can do this at home, right now! You will need eggs, flour, milk, salt and sugar. Whisk all ingredients together. Start by mixing only half the milk in, make sure all the flour is mixed in, then add the rest of the milk to avoid clumps. It will be a very runny batter. Let the batter stand in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to thicken slightly.


You'll want to use a good non-stick pan to make flipping these a lot easier. Heat the pan over medium heat and add a little bit of melted butter or spray a little oil. Add 1/4 cup of batter and quickly turn the pan around in your hand to coat the entire pan.


After about a minute flip the pancake, preferably by tossing in the air instead of using a spatula. How My described it to me was "turn over by flipping it in the air, makes you feel like a cool pancake ninja!"


This recipe will make about 20 pancakes. You can serve them with whatever you like. Traditionally they're served with lingonberries, Nutella, applesauce, jam, whipped cream, ice cream, etc. I served mine with lingonberries and a chocolate and nut spread from Trader Joe's (similar to Nutella). Lingonberries can be found at Ikea or at a specialty food market such as Market of Choice, AJ's, or Whole Foods. Lingonberries are very common in the Scandinavian countries and taste kind of like a cranberry, a little bit sweet and a little bit tart.


Take each pancake and spread with your desired topping then fold in half twice. Or you can put the topping on after folding the pancake up.



Pannkakor (Swedish Pancakes)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt

Whisk all ingredients together, adding only 1 cup of milk. After all combined, add the remaining cup of milk. Let batter sit in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to thicken. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Melt a little bit of butter or spray the pan with cooking oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and quickly turn the pan all around with your hand, coating the pan evenly. Let cook for about 1 minute then flip in the air. Let the other side cook for another minute.

Spread desired topping on inside of pancake then fold in half twice or fold then put toppings on top. You can use lingonberries, applesauce, Nutella, jam, whipped cream, ice cream, or whatever else you prefer.

Recipe makes about 20 pancakes. You can refrigerate batter for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment