Monday, September 29, 2014

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Over Rice


I can feel the weather slowly starting to change here in Phoenix. Saturday night actually got into the 60's. I know this sounds strange for people who don't live here, but it hasn't gotten to the 60's since probably May so this is a big deal. I actually have my window open right now, which again, is a big deal. Summer lasts much too long here. This is the time of year that I love here, 80's during the day and 60's at night. Perfect. I'm happy that the weather will be good for the next 6 months before we have to endure another deathly hot summer.


When thumbing through all the recipes I have done (but haven't posted yet) I realized that it has been WAY TOO LONG. This recipe was after my sister came to visit me for my birthday...on June 2nd! Oh boy, I really fell out of the swing of things. Anyway, she got me a wonderful little recipe book called 200 Really Easy Recipes. This recipe book is amazing, the dishes all look and taste so difficult, but are so simple. This was the first recipe I tried and wow, just wow. I did change just a few ingredients for our taste preferences.


Start with 6 boneless chicken thighs. Season with salt, pepper, Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning, and Trader Joe's BBQ Rub and Seasoning with Coffee and Garlic. You can use any BBQ rub you prefer, but I absolutely LOVE this rub we recently picked up at Trader Joe's. 


Wrap each chicken thigh in a nice, thick piece of bacon. You can secure with a toothpick, but it works fine without.


Gently place each piece of chicken into a oiled dutch oven and sear both sides over medium-high heat.


Remove the chicken and set aside. Turn the heat down to low and add long grained rice  and chopped garlic to the dutch oven. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get all that delicious bacon flavor and cook until rice is golden. 


Add chicken stock, turmeric and oregano and bring to a simmer.


Place the chicken back into the dutch oven on top of the rice. 


Put the lid on and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I had to show off my lovely apron that my friend Whitney got me. My sister got me an adorable one too that I will share soon enough.


This is the hard part...you have to let your house fill up with the delicious smell of bacon, chicken and turmeric. Once the 50 minutes is up though, it will be oh so worth the wait. The rice is so moist and full of flavor. The bacon is crispy and the chicken is juicy. I made this dish last time I went back home to Oregon for a group of friends. There were no leftovers...I think that speaks for itself.


Enjoy! I know this will be a repeat recipe for me and I'm sure for you as well.


Bacon Wrapped Chicken Over Rice
6 boneless chicken thighs
6 pieces of thick bacon
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon Trader Joe's South African Smoke (or other smoke seasoning)
1 teaspoon Trader Joe's BBQ Rub and Seasoning with Coffee and Garlic (or other BBQ rub)
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups long grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon oregano

Season chick thighs with salt, pepper, smoke seasoning and BBQ rub. Wrap each piece of chicken with a piece of bacon (can secure with toothpick if desired). Saute chicken in an oiled dutch oven over medium-high heat until both sides are browned. 

Remove chicken from dutch oven and reduce heat to low. Add rice and garlic to the dutch oven and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon. Cook until rice is golden. 

Add chicken stock, turmeric and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken back to the dutch oven and place on top of rice. Cover and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.




No comments:

Post a Comment