Thursday, June 12, 2014

Seared Scallop & Apple Salad


Wow, it sure has been awhile since my last post. I have had a VERY busy past two months though and it just keeps getting busier...which is great by me! I had my dad and step-mom come visit in April, followed by my mom, my friend Holly and my sister in May and a little weekend trip with Dan to Tucson. We all had a blast drinking by the pool and traveling around Arizona. 

It's starting to heat up here in the valley of death (also known as Phoenix) and it's only going to get worse. You know you've been living in Phoenix for too long when you say the sentence "It's only 100 degrees". Ha! Needless to say, I haven't been too gung-ho to do too much baking. Here is a perfect summer dish that only requires a few minutes of having the stove top on. Perfect for those hot summer days...which never end here. 


I don't know why I've never cooked scallops. I don't know if I was nervous or what, but they are very simple to cook. For the two of us I got a half pound of bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry. 


I also used one Granny Smith apple. You can certainly use any apple you'd like, I just like the tart Granny Smith for this salad. Chop the apple into thin strips.


Lightly coat the scallops in salt and pepper.


Sauté the scallops for 1-2 minutes on each side over medium-high heat with a little bit of vegetable oil. They cook VERY fast, careful not to overcook or they will become chewy.



You should be left with a golden brown outside and a delicious, tender center.


Toss scallops, apples, parmesan cheese and slivered almonds over a bed of romaine. Top with a vinaigrette of choice, I used a poppyseed dressing.


Seared Scallop & Apple Salad

1/2 pound bay scallops
1/2 Granny Smith apple
1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
Slivered almonds
Parmesan cheese
Vinaigrette
Lettuce

Rinse and pat dry scallops. Top with salt and pepper. Bring pan to medium-high heat with vegetable oil. Cook scallops for 1-2 minutes each side, careful not to over cook. Thinly slice apple. Toss all ingredients together.



No comments:

Post a Comment