Thursday, January 2, 2014

Healthy Apple Crisp


Happy New Year! I can't believe 2013 is over. One year ago I was celebrating New Years in Sweden at a ball, what a magical night.  I hope you all had a great night and weren't too hung over... Now for those New Years Resolutions! I very popular one is either working out more, eating healthier or losing weight. Today's recipe will help with that, plus it's a dessert! I made a healthy apple crisp!

Another great Christmas present I got this year were these cute little ramekins! They're bright and I love them. They're going to be perfect for single portion dishes that I really want to make, but Dan doesn't like. That way I don't have to have an entire pan of something that either I eat for every meal for a week or it goes to waste.


This recipe makes 2 portions of apple crisp. I picked out my red & green ramekins to stay in the holiday spirit for a little while longer. I used 1 large braeburn apple. You can use any apple of choice, braeburns are a good balance of sweet and tart. Here's a great chart on all the different kinds of apples and what kind of dishes they're best for PickYourOwn.org


Peel your entire apple.


Slice into thin pieces, they'll cook faster.


Put the apple slices in a zip-lock bag and add cinnamon and vanilla. Shake until all the slices are evenly coated.


Evenly distribute the apple slices into the two ramekins.


In a small bowl combine the oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and honey. You can also add butter to the topping for a crispier top.


Sprinkle the oat mixture on top of the apples.


Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-60 minutes. Enjoy by itself or with a small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.


Healthy Apple Crisp
1 braeburn apple
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1/4 cup oats
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons honey

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and thinly slice the apple. Put apple slices, vanilla and cinnamon in a small baggy and shake until evenly coated. Divide apples into 2 ramekins. In a small bowl mix together oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and honey. Divide into the 2 ramekins. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment