Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pad Thai


Has anyone gotten into the show The Killing? My friend Nancy told me to watch it and I just can't stop now. It's like an episode of CSI, but the crime lasts for 2 seasons...I'm hooked. Go watch it, it's on Netflix, I promise you won't be disappointed. 

Dan and I got cable for football season (which is almost over), and I've been trying to take advantage of real TV while we have it, but so many shows are being released on Netflix lately. Dexter was FINALLY added and I just got caught up on How I Met Your Mother. 

So since I've been home, in my sweats, catching up on TV shows, I haven't been wanting to spend too much time on a meal. Don't get me wrong, I love baking, but when a show ends on a cliffhanger, you don't want to wait too long for the next episode. I made today a tofu pad thai. You can easily switch up the protein, but honestly, tofu is pretty fast to cook.




Gather up your ingredients! You'll need a package of rice noodles that serves two, a half pound of firm tofu, one egg, peanut sauce, sesame seeds, green onions, salt and pepper.  This tofu I found is amazing! I mean, it tastes pretty much like any other tofu, but it has more texture and is separated into 2 pre-sealed packages.  I rarely use a whole pound of tofu at a time, so this is great! It lasts awhile in the fridge and is nice to have on hand.


First you'll want to strain and chop your tofu. I chopped mine into small cubes about 1 cm big. 


Toss the tofu in salt, pepper and a tablespoon of peanut sauce. This peanut sauce from Trader Joe's is delicious and has a little bit of red chilli pepper in it. 


Add the tofu into a lightly greased frying pan over medium-high heat.  Saute for 5-10 minutes. It all depends on how you like your tofu cooked. I like mine pretty firm, so I cooked it for closer to 10 minutes.


Reduce the heat to medium and add one scrambled egg.


Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the rice noodles.  Cook according to package instructions. Mine were fresh rice noodles so I let them soak in the water for 30 seconds to a minute. If you have the dry noodles, you'll need to soak them for longer. Just make sure to undercook them by about a minute. No this photo isn't blurry, the water just gets really cloudy when cooking rice noodles.


The really important part about cooking rice noodles is to not OVERCOOK them. Strain the noodles and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. If you overcook them they will get really sticky and mushy, not good. 


Add the cooked rice noodles to the frying pan and another tablespoon or two of peanut sauce. Toss all ingredients together for about a minute over medium-low heat.


Plate and top with sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Enjoy!!



Pad Thai
1/2 pound firm tofu
1 package rice noodles (serves 2)
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons peanut sauce
pinch of salt and pepper
sesame seeds & green onions to garnish

Strain and chop tofu into small cubes.  Toss in salt & pepper and 1 tablespoon peanut sauce. Saute in a lightly greased frying pan over medium-high for 5-10 minutes, or until desired doneness.  Reduce heat to medium and add scrambled egg.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil.  Remove from heat and add rice noodles. Cook according to package instructions. I used fresh rice noodles and only soaked them for 30 seconds to a minute. You want to undercook them by about a minute. Strain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.

Add the noodles and another tablespoon (or 2 depending on taste preference) of peanut sauce. Toss all ingredients together for about a minute. Top with sesame seeds & green onions.




No comments:

Post a Comment