Friday, April 11, 2014

Healthy Choices

I recently went to the Western Regional Dental Convention and took a few classes that spoke a lot about healthy choices. One was about the connection between inflammation in the body and inflammation in the mouth with one of the biggest contributing factors being overweight and struggling with diabetes. The other two classes were by Dr. Low Dog, she spoke about cancer prevention and the connection between the environment and human health.

I noticed a recurring theme in these classes...making healthy choices. This included in your diet, exercise and chemicals we put into our bodies. I got to thinking about choices I make and how I can change some. One of the best resources I found on this subject is Environmental Working Group. There are articles about new findings and recommendations, databases on household cleaners and cosmetics, and tips for creating a healthier diet.


You don't have to eat 100% organic, but it is beneficial to avoid pesticides when you can. The classes I took informed me that it is most important to eliminate pesticides if you're pregnant and in young children. This list shows you which produce has more pesticides on them, those are the ones that you should try to buy organic. Even some on the dirty dozen list you can scrub really well, so you may not need to buy organic, like apples, cucumbers, bell peppers & potatoes. Now berries and lettuce are very difficult to scrub without destroying, so those are better to get organic.

My other favorite parts of the EWG website were the databases for Cosmetics and Cleaning Products. You can either browse the top rated products or you can type in the products you currently use and see how they rate.

I'm not trying to say that you need to go and change everything that you are eating or putting on your body, I'm just trying to make people aware. I am sure I will still use a product that isn't top rated and I'll still eat plenty of non-organic food, but I have noticed that I'm thinking more about it and making slow changes. The most important thing is to educate yourself and make your own decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment