Thursday, December 5, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken Bowl



This dish isn't really a recipe, it's more like a meal idea.  I always struggle with what to have for dinner and I'm sure you all have the same problem.  This is a great weeknight dish that you can throw together very quickly.  Everything is frozen so you can always have it on hand for a last minute dinner.  This is a teriyaki chicken bowl with brown rice and veggies.




As you may have already noticed, I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. They have great prices and great products, as well as cheap and delicious wine. Win win win! Everything for this recipe today was from there as well, I'm sure you can find other varieties at other stores. Start with some frozen boneless chicken thighs. I only made dinner for myself so I thawed out one chicken thigh in the microwave. You can also bake the chicken thigh fully frozen, just add an additional 10 minutes or so.


I used a frozen vegetable medley of soy beans, corn and red bell peppers called Soycutash. I heated up about a 1/4 cup in the microwave with a tablespoon of water for a minute and a half.


I recently found this DELICIOUS teriyaki sauce. I highly recommend trying it out.


I absolutely LOVE garlic, so I added one clove of chopped garlic to my recipe.


Place either the thawed or frozen chicken in a foil lined baking dish. Pour a good amount of teriyaki sauce over the meat and top with the chopped garlic. Cover with foil and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes (longer if frozen).


Since this is my lazy, weeknight dinner I used frozen brown rice that you heat up in the microwave for 3 minutes.  Chop up the chicken and mix with rice and veggies.  I ended up adding a little bit more teriyaki sauce too. Simple, fast, delicious and healthy. Enjoy!


Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
Frozen boneless chicken thighs
Frozen vegetable medley (Soycutash from Trader Joe's)
Teriyaki sauce (Soyaki Sauce from Trader Joe's)
Brown rice (frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's)
1 clove of garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Thaw chicken thigh in microwave. Place in a baking dish, covering with teriyaki sauce and garlic. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes (longer if baking chicken frozen). 

While chicken is baking, heat up rice and vegetables in the microwave.  Place vegetables in a microwave safe dish and a few tablespoons of water, heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Heat up rice according to package instructions or use left over brown rice.

Chop chicken and mix with rice and vegetables.  Top with more teriyaki sauce if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment