Monday, December 16, 2013

Quinoa Chili



It's always nice to have things on hand to whip together a fast meal. Again, this is more of a meal idea than a recipe. I've been busy making Christmas cookies all morning and it wasn't until around 1:00pm that I realized I was hungry. At that point, of course I was starving so a fast meal was a must. I also hadn't showered yet, so leaving the house was NOT an option. Here is quinoa chili!



I came upon Trader Joe's vegetarian chili recently from my friend Marla. It is so delicious, but I found a way to make it last longer, which is a plus. Basically, all I do is mix some quinoa with my chili. You can obvously do this with any chili, canned or homemade.


For one can of chili, 1/2 cup of dry quinoa is the perfect amount. Bring a pot of 1 cup water to a boil, add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.


Once all the water is gone and the husks of the quinoa have released, add the can of chili and simmer for a few minutes, or until warm. 


Top with cheese, plain greek yogurt, avocado, or whatever your preference. 



Quinoa Chili
1 can Trader Joe's vegetarian chili (or any chili of choice)
1/2 cup quinoa, dry
1 cup water
1/2 avocado, chopped
1 Tablespoon plain greek yogurt

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until most water is absorbed. Add can of chili and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until warm. Top with chopped avocado and greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment